Monday, March 26, 2012

Photography class week 4





Well, last week was one of the hardest and longest I've had in a long time between being really sick myself as well as nursing other family members through, plus a science fair, decorating my husband's office and six thousand other things. Actually, I'm still recovering and now two more members of the family are sick!

Anyway, for this week I honestly didn't have time to shoot until today and I ran into the same problem I often do, which is that I have great ideas but lack the technical know-how to pull off the ideas. I chose to tell a story in one image with my daughter Sarah. She is our princess with four brothers, so my idea was to have her dressed up in her ballet leotard etc. and looking super girly, surrounded by the boys' basketballs, etc. on the basket ball court. Well, the wind picked up so much that she was freezing in her leotard and the balls were blowing everywhere. It was also too cold to execute my second idea, which was to have her in a ballet pose on the trampoline with my boys sprawled out around her. Finally, I gave up the outdoors and came inside. I had her sitting in her pink room, while I shot her playing with her Barbies. I tried to add some conflict by having two of her brothers on the bed with her playing with their robots, but I just couldn't seem to get the right angle to catch that "telling" shot. So what I ended up with was just my little girl in her pink room. I did get some good shots of her though, and I feel like I'm starting to be able to apply some of the principles I've learned so far in the class, in reducing, different perspectives etc.

For my self-portrait, I had my husband take some photos of me. I'm such a novice myself though, that I didn't really know what to tell him. I've never been very photogenic. I have a hard time relaxing when I know some one is taking my picture! But we did have fun, and I'm starting to learn about shadows, although I'm still not sure how to avoid them!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I love the second photo of your girl with her barbie... what a great capture of "girly" things. :) A couple of suggestions if you don't want harsh shadows in your photos: if it's sunny, try backlighting. Put your light source behind the subject and shoot that way. Or, you can try shooting in the shade, or on a cloudy day. That's the easiest. :)

Jeff's Easter triumph!

Jeff's Easter triumph!

Who needs easter eggs when your hair looks this cute?

Who needs easter eggs when your hair looks this cute?

"Mom, are you done taking my picture yet?"

"Mom, are you done taking my picture yet?"

Welcome Baby Jacob!

Welcome Baby Jacob!
Jacob Henry Woodland was born on February 1st weighing 7 pounds 5 ounces. We are so happy that he has joined our family. He has made Heaven feel so close. From the moment we saw him, Mark and I have known that he has a special, peaceful spirit about him. He has been an angel and we have never had such a relaxed happy baby! And yes, we needed it. Three children in three and a half years feels like a marathon that you are having to sprint! But it is so joyful---spitup and all-- and when you look at these precious ones, you can only feel grateful for the miracle of life that God has given us! It is hard to believe that he has blessed us with four!

Woodland Clan minus Dad plus cousin Sydney

Woodland Clan minus Dad plus cousin Sydney
So here we all are at bedtime when Mark's sister Megan and her daughter Sydney (on the far left) were visiting while Mark was on a business trip!

Sunbeams Here We Come!

Sunbeams Here We Come!
Sarah was very excited to be going to Primary with her big brother for the first time. For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about, at our church before they are three years old, the children go to Nursery where they basically play. But then they go to what most would call Sunday School with the older children. The sunday school class for three year-olds is called Sunbeams.

Sunday Best

Sunday Best
This was in January and of course Sarah doesn't have shoes on, but at least we got two of our children to stand still together long enough for a picture!

Jeff in his car "throne"

Jeff in his car "throne"
I just had to put this picture of Jeff in, even though it's from January because let's face it: He spends a lot of time in what Sarah has named his "car throne"!

Sarah's Preschool Christmas party

Sarah's Preschool Christmas party
Okay so this is an old picture but I'm behind and don't want to skip some of these classic moments!